Sunday, August 07, 2011

The Columbia Icefields

Athabasca Glacier 01 by Clover_1
[As transcribed by Daddy on August 9th]

Despite a blistering thunderstorm in the middle of the night, I slept well. Mommy and Daddy and I were up and hit the road pretty early, saying goodbye to Naisa and Etana and Samara and Smithembiso. The highway out of Edmonton was pretty clear and empty, so we hit the mountains surprisingly quickly. Once I saw those mountains, I was pretty awestruck - and the deeper we got into the mountains, the more amazing it was. It made my parents really happy to hear my unbridled enthusiasm!

We stopped in Jasper and had a delicious little lunch at a nice restaurant, and met a nice family from Melford Sask, who we kept running into on the rest of the day's journey along the Icefields parkway. Along that drive, we saw lasagna-eating birds, chipmunks, massive ravens, an elk, a family of mountain goats, and two bears - one grizzly and one black - really up close!

We hit the Columbia Icefields in the late afternoon - Mommy and Daddy and I walked right up to the Athabasca glacier, which was one of the more amazing things any of us have done this year. Pretty mind-blowing, but we were pretty exhausted after the (chilly) hike. We still managed to find the time to also hike around Peyto lake.

Mommy and I got pretty exhausted by then, and couldn't settle on what to eat for dinner in Lake Louiseā€¦ Daddy drove us into British Columbia, where we found a little Motel and smokehouse in Golden. What an amazing day!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

I'm a happy kid living with my parents and our dog in Toronto. I'm goofy, sweet, smart, extremely chatty, and pretty much the cutest kid on the face of the Earth!